For Vaccinations

Mandatory vaccinations necessary to prevent spread of diseases

Stephanie Valle, Editor-in-Chief

Although the concept of mandatory vaccinations seems like a basic civic health function, the battle over whether or not to vaccinate still rages across the country in some corners.

To some people, the idea of not getting your shots is completely unacceptable. For others, vaccinations present the fear of suffering debilitating side effects or lifelong conditions such as autism.

Diseases such as polio, measles and tetanus are very rare among Americans, thanks to the help and progression of vaccinations. This leads people to believe that they are not at risk to acquire these deadly diseases. The sad truth to this idea is that they are wrong. Not getting your vaccinations against these diseases can put you at a high risk of obtaining them, and then passing them on to others who are not vaccinated.

Naturally under state law, Austin ISD schools are forced to accept all students whether they have been vaccinated or not. However, if the students are not vaccinated their parents will have to sign what is called a conscientious exemption form. That form is basically telling the school board that the parents did not want their child to be immunized.

Austin ISD is one of the biggest public school districts in Texas and has the highest exemption rates when it comes to vaccinations. According to an article published by KUT in August, out of the 2,547 students attending Akins about 26 were exempted from needing their vaccinations. Of those 26 exemptions, 21 were conscientious exemptions and the other five could be medical exemptions but it is not clear.

Some argue that vaccinations are not necessary because of the “free ride”theory. The free ride theory is this: if all of the people around you are vaccinated and insusceptible to deadly diseases, then a non-vaccinated person is safe from getting the disease as well because they are practically inside a safe bubble.

Bottom line: we get vaccinated not just for ourselves but for the greater good. By deciding to vaccinate, you chose to protect yourself, and the ones you love.