The Student Support Services office is an underutilized resource

Stephanie Valle, Editor-in-Chief

As a student, the everyday challenges of life can get tough and we all know it. Whether it’s school related or in your personal life. It can all pile on and become too difficult to bare on your own. Sometimes we just don’t know who to turn to, who can help, or who would even bother to listen to our problems.

In my situation, life was catching up with me. It became hard to balance my school life and my personal life. I felt like I was drowning and there wasn’t anyone who would bother to try and reach out to help me. Fortunately, I came  across a familiar face who could tell that I was experiencing some difficulties even though I wasn’t talking about it. He asked me to go and check out the Student Support Services office just so I could find out what kinds of resources are offered there.

The SSS is filled with genuine people who care about you and your well being. They truly want you to succeed and live a successful and healthy life.

— Stephanie Valle

When I warily approached the office, I was greeted by a friendly face that asked how she could help. I explained that I was there to gather information on what they offer students and I can tell you this – I was not prepared for the response.

I sat there for a good while as I listened to her explain what the SSS is really all about.

The SSS has operated for more than 10 years at Akins. It is headed  by social worker Colleen Arnold who is assisted by student interns from both the University of Texas and Our Lady of the Lake University. They are  there to gain experience for their master’s degrees, but Akins students benefit from having these interns there for the counseling they offer. The SSS offers multiple support groups that students are able to take part in during FIT sessions including:

• Emotional management/depression and anxiety
  • Anger management
  • Grief and Loss
  • Pregnancy & parenting
  • Healthy relationships
  • LGBTQ
  • Girls Empowerment (girls only-mainly about girl focused issues)
  • ELL (English Language Learners)

Students also have the option of meeting with an assigned intern there to talk with them once a week and help them cope with or change whatever is going on in their lives.

The SSS also goes beyond offering counseling services to students.

There are students whose families are struggling financially and can’t necessarily afford things such as clothes, school supplies, and food. They have a room full of clothes that have been donated by people that are for students who A) have been dress coded B) have had any type of mishaps with their clothes throughout the school day and C) don’t necessarily have clothes at home. They also have prom dresses for girls who cannot afford one or who just don’t have the time to look for one. They have boxes full of school supplies and backpacks as well as hygiene products and snacks for students that are hungry for whatever reason.

One thing that personally surprised me was that they had big bags full of food to bring home to your family, as well. It’s an amazing resource to have on campus, putting these essential items within a student’s grasp. They not only help students, but also their families with these services.

They help with almost everything. They can help students make contact with free clinics throughout Austin in case they need  some type of test done or even if you need new glasses but cannot afford them.

The SSS is filled with genuine people who care about you and your well being. They truly want you to succeed and live a successful and healthy life. Their doors are open to anyone and everyone who needs to get things off their chest. I know this first hand. I walked down there thinking that I was just going to be informed on what’s offered. I didn’t expect to suddenly break down and have someone who actually cared and who would listen to me. Even though I walked in a stranger, I sobbed right in front of them and they talked me through some things that I was feeling at that moment. They made me feel like I wasn’t alone. No, they made me know that I wasn’t alone.

The sad part about it is that only a handful of students take advantage of this service out of thousands that we have here at Akins. There are hundreds of kids that can benefit from this and they don’t even know it.    

If you ever feel like you need help in any way, shape, and/or form, the SSS is there for you.