Sandy Hook shooting sparks gun debate

Chris Yanez

Due to the recent aftermath of the tragic Newtown, Connecticut shooting, the gun control policy in America has become even more apparent and is being challenged more than ever.

There are also questions about certain policies that are trying to be enacted in schools throughout the country like whether or not teachers should be able to carry guns on campus for the protection of themselves as well as their students. To this question I say yes.

I believe that equipping teachers with firearms that can be properly concealed somewhere in their classrooms is a good form of student protection.

At any given moment there could be a shooting and a teacher would be able to protect their students instead of watching helplessly as a gunman opens fire.

Of course in order to keep students safe from teachers who might use the guns, teachers should go through numerous and consistent background checks and trainings in order to see if they fit the requirement to carry a firearm on school grounds.

“If we have teachers educated on how to hold a weapon then I would be fine with it but you can’t just give them a gun and be fine with it. They would need training beyond a concealed hand gun,” senior Arthur Lung said.

I believe that this movement might just be the right step for districts all across the nation to take in order to secure and protect our students.

Even if the United States tightens up on  gun control regulations and bans the ownership of certain firearms the regulations and laws will not stop people from acquiring firearms illegally through gun trafficking.

I think school would be a safer place with  teachers properly armed for student safety and the sooner this comes into effect the better.

Tyler Derickson

With gun violence streaming across America, questions are being raised whether the nation should equip their teachers with guns so that they can protect themselves and their students from intruders wielding guns.

I feel that it is ridiculous to trust teachers with guns. At any given moment a teacher would have access to a lethal weapon.

In the wake of the tragic Newtown, Connecticut shooting many changes are being proposed and made about gun policy in America.

Changes being made to the new gun policy include, stricter  background checks on people wanting to purchase guns, the banning of military-style weapons, and the strengthening of penalties for gun trafficking violations have been suggested or even passed as law.

With about 300 million guns in the United States it is very easy to purchase a gun, but these guns should only be given to people that would have a worthy use for them and I feel teachers don’t fall into that category.

“I know I would trust certain teachers with my life, but I cant trust most teachers with my homework,” junior Kenny Jennings said. “This idea of giving teachers guns is ridiculous, I think more security would be an easier process.”

I agree with the idea of adding more security on school grounds rather than the idea of giving a gun to a teacher to protect us.

I think supplying a school with more security officers would be more beneficial because instead of giving someone a gun that may have never used one you are being protected by officers whose job is to serve and protect.

The other side may say that guns are not the problem because guns don’t kill people, people kill people. This is not true because guns literally kill people. People have the intention to kill people, but the bullet shot from the gun is the actual thing that is killing people and while adding more guns would seem like a good idea to protect people around the world, it isn’t.

My reasoning is because guns can end up in the wrong hands. I am not saying we should get rid of guns everywhere, but I feel that they should not be put in people’s hands if they are unfit to hold them.