Follow Akins Journalism on Twitter
Recent Comments

Battling for some redemption

The improbable finally happened. It took a blocked extra point and raw determination, but finally after 27 match-ups the varsity football team won a game beating the Bastrop Bears 17-16.

Senior lineman Alonso Silvia is one of the Akins football heroes credited for bringing the big win back to campus.

“The biggest highlight was the game against Bastrop when Alonso blocked the game tying extra point to give us our first varsity win in almost three years,” junior Marshall Trevino said.

Coaching has made a huge difference according to players. The new coaching staff brought in their own style and formats to the game of football.

“I am very proud to be the coach here at Akins and I am very proud of the team and of how hard they worked for this,” head coach Humberto Garza said.

The team already has more wins this year than the last two years combined.

“I think we will have a positive record and make it to playoffs,” junior receiver Robert Walker said.

The most impactful player this year has been Aunrie Davis according to most of his teammates.

“Aunrie has had big runs in crucial situations.” Trevino said.

The junior Akins running back has been carrying most of the workload this season. He has 331 rushing yards on 37 carries and six touchdowns.

“I think that Aunrie has preformed best so far this season, he has contributed a lot to our offense and the running game,” Walker said.

A quick recap of what has gone on so far this year:

Crockett

In the Crockett game, a 29-14 victory for the host Cougars, a fumble picked up inside the ten yard line was converted to give Akins their first points of the season. Even though it was as a loss for the team some of the players had already felt they had a better bond with one another.

“I feel we have connected as a team, you can see it in the way we have played this year” Trevino said.

McCallum

In the 48-35 loss to the McCallum Knights, a 21-7 halftime lead looked to secure the Eagles their first victory, but missed opportunities piled up, ending their chances again.

“The coaching changes have made a big impact on the way we have played this year,” Garza said. “All the coaches love working with the kids and they are getting better and better every week.”

Del Valle 

Against Del Valle, Josh Cleveland, the district’s leading rusher, ran for 185 yards and three rushing touchdowns as Del Valle shook up the Eagles for a 35-3 win.

“We have to be more of a team and have to be better on the defensive side of the ball.” Trevino said.

Westlake 

The Westlake battle was a crushing loss to the team. A 68-7 romping to the hands of Westlake was the worst defeat suffered so far this season. Three kick off returns were fumbled back-to-back-to-back early in the game costing the team 21 points. When Akins ran their first play from scrimmage they were already down 28-0.

“I could have stayed after practice to work on my skills and better myself” Walker said.