Varsity Eagles basketball wins in phenomenal fashion

Clock ticking down, 35 seconds left, the game tied at 45.  Senior Courtlan Ross dribbles the ball back and forth from left hand to right hand. The clock hits seven seconds. Ross drives to the hoop after crossing his opponent and shoots the ball.

“I was thinking about everything but finishing the shot,” Ross said. “What kind of celebration should I do after I win this game.”

The shot misses.

“All I could think about was proving myself next time I had the opportunity,” Ross said.

However, junior Tedrick Lowery, who happens to be the younger half-brother of Ross, rebounded the missed game-winner and immediately signaled for a time-out.

The anticipation and angst in the crowd came to ease as the official blew his whistle.

“I was really upset with Courtlan for missing that shot,” Lowery said. “But, I realized we still had a opportunity to win the game.”

Ross inbounded the ball from under the backboard, a gentle lob in the air. Lowery jumped in the air with two defenders guarding him, caught the ball and immediately shot the ball before coming down.

“Coach (David) Peavy set the play up for me to catch the lob and dunk it but it didn’t turn out the way we wanted and I was just hoping that my shot went in,” Lowery said.

The shot rolled down the backboard and bounced once off the rim before going in. The crowd erupted in cheers.

“These are the games that show our evolution as a team,” senior Frederick Barton said. “We would have lost that game last year.”

Barton is right, the Eagles fell off last year from their usual winning ways to a disappointing 12-20 season record and even worse 0-10 district record.

“There was a lack of trust and leadership last year with coaches and teammates,” Barton said.

The lack of trust and leadership has been filled; as the Eagles hold a first place record of 9-1.

“We are staying disciplined this season. We are communicating well and we have bought in to Peavy’s program,” Ross said. “Fredd (Richardson III) and I have really stepped up and become the leaders on the team while other players such as Rakim (Jackson) and Mario (Trevino) are stepping up and making plays.”

“We saw the results last year and we all realized that we have to change something,” Barton said.

The team suffered a blow before the season started when Peavy dismissed senior Lionel Hollins from the team.

“He was a good kid and I love him to death,” Peavy said. “I had to make the best decision for the team and Lionel was not buying in to what we needed to do to move forward. As good as he is, I believe we are a better team now because we have a bunch of kids buying in to what we are doing here.”

Hollins transferred to Travis High School. The two teams have met once this season and the Eagles had an impressive showing against the Rebels knocking them off 69-41.

“It was a big game for us because some of their players left our school to go play over there, so we wanted to show them that even with them leaving we still can play well,” Richardson III said.

The highlight of the game came when junior Marcale Lotts viciously slammed down an alley-oop pass from Barton.

“My alley-oop was nasty,” Lotts said. “It was my favorite highlight so far.”

Lotts, a junior 6’7 forward, is a transfer from Mississippi and is establishing himself as the premier big man in central Austin averaging seven rebounds and two blocks a game despite playing on an sprained ankle.

“I transferred from Mississippi because I was not progressing at the level I wanted to,” Lotts said. “I chose Akins because Peavy said he would do his best to develop me and bring me to the next level.”

Lotts and Hollins were expected to become a dominant frontcourt this year before Hollins’ departure.

“I was really looking forward to playing with Lionel this season,” Lotts said. “It sucks he chose to transfer.”

The team has moved on and found success even without Hollins, but clearly knows that they have much to work on before calling themselves a legitimate state contender.

“We know we have a good record and are playing well, but we are not satisfied.” Ross said.