Volleyball team fights to overcome challenges

Isiah Strange, Sports Editor

The varsity volleyball team is overcoming challenges through it’s season while it has struggled to produce wins.

Although the team currently has four wins, eight losses and one tie, the team has proven to be a solid competitor in its division.

“Our first game went pretty well, we were really close to Ann Richards all 3 matches,” senior Erika Singer said.

During the first tournament weekend, the varsity volleyball girls won three out of eight games they played. However, the losses have had some positive impacts on the team as they allowed players to improve and learn new plays.

“The games taught us a lot of new plays and what we shouldn’t and should do when playing another team,” Singer said.

Akins High School, and several other schools around central Texas were reconfigured into the new 6A Division in District 14, which includes Lehman and Hays. This delivers a new challenge for the volleyball team, on top of the other teams they currently play.

“We have a tough district so due to the fact that we are the underdog, we have to work 10 times harder,” varsity captain Mariah Stewart said.

The volleyball team has a lot of work to overcome but players are feeling confident that this season will be different than the rest.

“I feel confident that I know everyone is giving 110 percent,” Stewart said.

The team has proved that they’re a force this year, while trying to reach their goal of making it to playoffs.

“We’ve just had to work for every win, and even when we think we’re going to lose we have to think we’re going to win,” senior Lillian Mercado said.

The volleyball team is set to show their skills in their next game against Lehman tonight.