Team slowly meets goals for the season

Lady Eagles still have a small chance at making playoffs

Junior Brooklyn Childers goes in to shoot while being defended by Bowie High School players. Akins lost 68 to 38 that night

Isiah Strange, Sports Editor

The Lady Eagles Varsity Basketball team has struggled through a difficult season while not chalking up the wins they had hoped for before district play started back in December.

The varsity girls basketball team was 5-9 in district with an overall of 14-17 record as of last week. The team played Hays on Friday and faces Lake Travis tomorrow during the last game of district play.

Despite the mixed record of wins and losses, the coaches and players are focusing on the positive as they finish up district play on Tuesday.

However, the team has learned some tough lessons this season including motivating each other and improving their communication on the court.

“With the new players on the team I just pushed them all the time,” senior Chynna Rivera said. “Encouraging them and telling them that they can do it.”

As a senior Rivera was assigned freshman Denae Lofton as her little sister on the team.

With a positive head on their shoulders Lofton feels that her ultimate goal is to build a bond with the rest of the team and become part of the family.

“Having Rivera as my big sister is a pleasure,” Lofton said. “I learned a lot from her this season she helped me become positive and contributing to the team as much as possible.

The team has improved this year, and really brought themselves up as they set out to do at the beginning of the year.

“I think we really improved,” senior Macy Whiting said. “Our goal was the be the best we can be and I think we’ve sort of done that,” said senior Macy Whiting.

The team  still has a slim chance to make it to playoffs. They still have two more games that will determine if they’re going to make it or not.

“The season has been up and down,” said coach Jane Martin. “So that’s really disappointing, but I hope we bounce back before the end of the season.”

It’s not set in stone, but it would require a team in the next two games to lose, which would allow the Lady Eagles into the playoffs.

“It’s a slim possibility, and it’s going to be a difficult way to get in,” Martin said.

Although, the team still has high hopes that they’ll make it to the playoffs.

“I think we’ll definitely do it,” senior McKenzie Lunkin said. “We play two more games this week and next, we can definitely beat both teams.”

They’ll have to play their hardest in order to eliminate a team and slip into the playoffs.

The team’s last game is against Lake Travis, today. This is also senior night for the basketball girls.