Boys soccer team starts season with major victories

In a competitive district, team proves a strong contender

Senior+Sergio+Ruvalcaba+defends+the+ball+in+a+game+against+a+player+from+Westlake+High+School.+Akins+lost+the+game+5-0.+

Michael Galindo

Senior Sergio Ruvalcaba defends the ball in a game against a player from Westlake High School. Akins lost the game 5-0.

Isiah Strange, Sports Editor

With an overall record of 3-3-2, the Akins boy’s soccer team has started the season in full force.

With expectations to constantly improve and strive for success, the team has competitively competed with any team who has stepped in their path.

“The season is already better than last season, even though we’ve only played a few games,” senior Mac Cantu said.

The team has beaten schools such as Austin and Lehman, where they came out victorious. However, they have also experienced losses such as the 5 to 0 defeat to Westlake.

Although, they still maintain a strong record, the season is still early, so it can go any way for the team.

Even though we had a big loss, I think it’s made us realize what we’ve been missing.

— Fidel Zaragoza

“We still have flaws here and there,” Cantu said. “But we get better every game.”

The team has beat Austin High School, along with Lehman high school. They’ve also tied with Anderson High School.

The team suffered a heavy loss to Westlake, ending their winning streak. It became an eye opener to the team, letting them know that it won’t always be easy to win. This allowed them to notice what they truly need to work on, Zaragoza said.

“We need to work on connecting better as a team,” he said. “We connect, like we have chemistry, but it can be stronger.”

The team looks to making it to playoffs, which requires 6 wins, a goal the team is halfway to meeting and will have plenty of opportunities to make it.

“I’m very optimistic about the rest of the season,” Cantu said. “Hopefully we will make playoffs.”

The season is still young for the team, which gives them time to meet their goal, and to better themselves as a whole, which many of the players have said they hope to do.

“I think we just need to work on playing as a team, not as individuals,” senior Sergio Ruvulcaba said.

Some feel the team’s chemistry really needs to be picked up, as it lacks a bit. Which can hurt the team out on the field if they aren’t working as one.

“Finding chemistry between each other because our team as a whole hasn’t connected constantly,” Zaragoza said.

With this in mind, the team will have to play as one in order to make it to where they want to be. With goals set, the team can reach this in no time.

The team’s next game is today, February 9. The game is a home game and will be played at Burger Center.