Follow Akins Journalism on Twitter
Recent Comments

Band takes on new goals and direction

Over the summer the two new assistant band directors, Tate Fincher and Christopher Bronson had to step up and teach under head director Gary Faust.

The new directors already have brand new goals in mind for the band program and ideas on how to make them happen.

“The goal is for students to achieve some level of success and personal growth,” Fincher said. “A more long term goal is to increase long term numbers in the band program but my number one goal is for the students to feel like they have achieved something at a high level and have reached their full potential.“

Speaking of the new assistant directors, Fincher and Bronson were a big hit with the band students.

“I really like the new directors. They make sure we understand the music and the marching, and help us if we don’t,” junior Robyn Clapper said. “Mr. Bronson and Mr. Fincher make sure that we have what we need to succeed whether in band or out.”

The new directors are fun to hang out with according to some students in the band program.

“I think the band directors are awesome. Even though they are super pushy about some things they want done, they are funny and awesome to hang around,” freshman Jordan Espinoza said.

As the head band director, Faust has set aside specific goals he has for Fincher and Bronson.

“I want them to help create a program that they would want to take over. They have new ideas and new ways of doing things and I’m very open to that even in my old age,” Faust said. “They both come from very great college programs and both taught at really good high school programs so it’s a real honor to have both of them here.”

Faust had originally taken a year off from being head director because of illness due to stress but is happy to be back at the top of the band food chain and to have the two new assistant directors by his side.

“It feels great. Its who I am and I am happy to have two really fine young assistants who are able to take a lot of the burden off of me so it’s really fun. It’s home,” Faust said.

All of the directors seem to belong in the Akins Eagle Band program.

“They are all very good at what they do. They know how to teach us in a way that we can all understand,” Clapper said. “Before we move on to something new they make sure we have earlier things down.”

I don’t think I could choose a favorite band director if I had to,” Clapper said. “They all have their own personal qualities that help us. There isn’t really one that is better or worse.”

Recently the band competed at the Hill Country music festival on September 19. They band was named overall Grand Champion and first place in AAAA band.