Half-time show introduces new twist

The Diamond Dazzlers astonished fans with the announcement that they would be a part of the marching band this year.

With the new concepts of marching and moving to “sets” on a football field, the Diamonds have had to work harder than they ever have before.

“The Diamonds are doing great, marching is just a whole ‘nother world for them,” head band director Gary Faust said. “They have never experienced marching before, the way the band and Diamonds rehearse is different.”

The band directors are excited to have the Diamonds as part of the band this year.

“The staff as a whole is thrilled to have the Diamonds. It’s something new so people are still getting used to it and some students don’t know what to make of it yet,” assistant director Tate Fincher said. “But the addition of the Diamonds and bringing them into the fold’s a tremendous advantage.”

The band students also have gotten a chance to learn new things with the inclusion of the Diamonds.

“The band students are going to experience an entirely new aspect of dance and visual. It’s incredible and its really an unknown,” Fincher said.

Also having the Diamonds being in the band gives them another chance to show off their moves.

“The Diamonds being in the band gives them another performance opportunity and another showcase to show off the team, not just in football games but competitions as well,” Diamond director Lindsay Ball said.

This year the Diamonds have not only had to practice with the band but they also just have regular Diamond practice.

“We practice for two hours on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons and on Wednesday mornings we practice for one and a half hours and then we have normal practice,” junior Rebecca Preciado said. “But I’d rather have a bunch of practices than no practice at all.”

There were rumors that the Diamonds didn’t like being in the marching band because of how hard it is.

“At first I was a little apprehensive but I fell in love with it when we met the choreographer,” Preciado said. “The other Diamonds feel like it is a lot of work but it isn’t like we don’t want to work with the band.”

Some band students don’t feel that the Diamonds are living up to the Akins Eagle Band reputation.“Quite frankly, I’m a little torn, the Diamonds would be a great asset to the band if they could actually make their sets,” junior Eric Guerrero said. “This is their first time in the band environment, and it really doesn’t seem like they get how important doing your best in band practice is,” Guerrero said. “They are doing pretty well but they seem to be doing things half heartedly and the band students usually don’t do things that way.”