Marching band achieves top regional rank

After all the practicing since day one, the band can finally find out how much of it has actually paid off. Every two years band enters their biggest competition, the University Interscholastic League Regional and State competition.

Not only is it the biggest competition with marching bands all over the district coming from 5A schools to compete in the region, but it is also the most important to every band comparing to the rest of the competitions.

“UIL is where we get judged by different judges, and depending on how good they thought our performance was, they give us a rating,” senior Anais Barnes said.

The band had received all “1’s” or “sweepstakes” this year at UIL.

“We had made all “1’s” at UIL and it was also a state year for us,” Barnes said.

Barnes is one of the three drum majors, which are people chosen to lead and conduct the band on the field.

“UIL is a big deal to me. It shows me how much we’ve progressed up to that point, and it’s a reminder for me that I have to stay strong and be a motivator for my band,” Barnes said.

Some of the members set goals and expectations they would like to reach during their performance in order to strive for perfection.

“My goal was to have the best performance possible. I expected the band to make all “1’s” since we put so much work into out rehearsals,” senior Fabian Losolla said.

The UIL competition is something that the seniors of the band will never forget, and being able to watch it happen in the moment is something Barnes will always cherish.

“Looking at the band at the “big hit” in the third movement and getting chills because it was, sounded, and looked beautiful,” Barnes said. “I then realized that all our hard work had paid off, and it just made me proud to be a drum major.”

Immediately after the performance, the band members all gathered and reflected on their show before the judges had released the standings.

“It didn’t feel like it was all that great, but when we found out that we got all “1’s” and watched the video, it wasn’t bad at all,” senior Julian Cruz said.

This being the most important competition to the entire band overall, means that this performance had to be the best they can preform to prove that they can compete with any school.

“The bass line’s overall performance was one of the many great performances that we’ve had this year,” Hernandez said.

Waiting for the standings was the most excruciating time of the entire competition, but the outcome was greatest feeling for the band all around.

“I was excited that we carried on the, now nine year long streak of receiving all ones,” Losolla said.

If it’s a state year for that band, then they advance to area. If they make area Finals they go to state, and compete to be the best in state.