Dedicated student’s talent recognized

Jonathan Hodges, a violinist in the Akins orchestra, competed in Region 18, which is the orchestra high school ensemble for central Texas. Hodges competed with 122 other violinists from across the state and received 16th chair in the ensemble that performed in mid-November at Westlake high school

“I am very honored to receive 16th chair out of all 122 other violinist that competed,” Hodges said. “I feel like I could have done better though.”

“I am so proud of Jonathan’s accomplishment.” orchestra director Catherine Bennett said. “Its very tough for a string player to get to the Area level.”

Hodges is in the Akins guitar ensemble as well and participated in a performance the guitar class did at a school board meeting in November.

The guitar ensemble and orchestra are in preparation for University Interscholastic League (UIL), which is a competition that is made to test skills of musicians across the nation.

Hodges hopes he can do as well in UIL for guitar as he did in Region 18 for violin.

“I would really like to do my best in UIL” Hodges said  “however my main priority is improving my musicianship with violin.”

Hodges participates in the champs program along with the normal orchestra program and is kept busy in his adventure to become a great musician.

“I think that in order for students to get to this level as a musician you have to be 100% dedicated to your instrument. That means endless hours of practice and endless hours of private lessons with a professional violinist, violist, cellist or bassist,” Bennett said. “Students have a lot going on at Akins High School and I think they should be successful at whatever they are passionate about.”