Band takes journey to major U.S. city

An aquarium, a swamp tour, a ghost tour with haunted houses, formal dinners, paddle-boating, swimming and a dance. These are all things that await band students during their spring break.

From Friday, March 8 to Monday, March 11 the band will be in New Orleans, Louisiana.

“We chose to go on the trip on spring break because eligibility doesn’t apply to spring break,” head band director Gary Faust said.

Each student has to pay $595 to go on the trip but students feel it is well worth it.

“I think it is definitely worth the money to go to New Orleans,” freshman Jordan Espinoza said. “I am hoping to have fun and bring presents back for my family and friends.”

The band students have been given numerous opportunities, including working concession stands at UT basketball games, to fund raise so the payments for the trip do not come out of their own pockets.

One of the biggest fund raising events for the band this year was Formula One in which they earned $20,000 in two days from running concessions.

Also students can’t wait to see the difference between New Orleans and Austin.

“I’m excited to see and experience the culture of New Orleans and see how different it is,” senior Keli-ann Nakamura said.

Though the band won’t perform in a competition they plan to woo the public with their music.

“We are going to perform for the public in Jackson Square while we are there,” Faust said.