"Everything that concerns you"

"Everything that concerns you"

"Everything that concerns you"

Eid al-Fitr & Eid al-Adha

While many people have one holiday like Christmas, Muslims celebrate two.
Freshman Maheem Anjum celebrates those two holidays in the religion of Islam.
“I celebrate Eid al-Fitr and Eid ad-Adha,” Anjum said. “Eid al-Fitr is about giving to others and the community. Eid al-Adha is mostly about having fun and getting together with your family.”
During Eid al-Fitr, the biggest part is to give to others.
“We cook food for other people who have no homes,” Anjum said. “We also go to shelters and help out animals. We just try to do as much as we can for others.”
Eid al-Adha is more about receiving than giving.
“It’s basically exactly like Christmas because you get things from others,” Anjum said. “The only difference between Eid al-Adha is that you get money and no physical objects. You also don’t decorate like you do for Christmas or some other holidays.”
These holidays are celebrated after Ramadan.
“Ramadan is when we fast from sunrise to sundown from about July to August,” Anjum said. “The days that Ramadan is change from year to year because it’s based on the Islamic calendar. The Islamic calendar is set up according to follow the moon.”
Anjum thinks these holidays are more then just teaching you a life lesson.
“It’s important because it’s part of your religion,” Anjum said. “But, I think it’s really about spending time with your family.”
Although Anjum really cares about her religion and holidays, there is one downfall.
“The only bad thing is that I don’t get to skip school like everyone else does for Christmas,” Anjum said. “I still have to make up everything that I miss.”