College advisor opens pathway to higher education

Struggling to be successful in life after high school students tend to stress over choices they will have to make to further their education.

College is a big step for not only the seniors, but underclassman as well.  Some would think being in their 2nd or 3rd year of high school is too early to be planning for college. However, college advisor Sarah Simmons feels that isn’t really the case.

“It’s never too early to be thinking about college and getting prepared for it,” Simmons said.

Simmons has made it her job to advise all students when it comes to what college students should attend and how to begin preparing for admissions, scholarships, and financial aid.

Simmons, who was previously an English teacher for 10 years, started her job here as the college adviser in 2010. Since then she has been able to break down the barriers of applying to universities and colleges step-by-step. She is able to ensure that kids have filled out the scholarships and financial aid correctly, and are up to date on any deadlines, and have taken the ACT/SAT tests.

With the many things Simmons does for the students at school, many feel that she is definitely playing a big part in their lives.

“She’s really helpful and pushes me to make progress with my applications,” junior Katia Alcantar said.

Students are also welcome to visit the College and Career Center anytime before school and after school. There will also be more senior nights every Thursday during January and February, to help with scholarships. Mornings of late start Thursdays are also a time where students are encouraged to visit the CCC.

Seniors are not the only ones that will be provided with help from the CCC.

“If a freshman knew they only had three years to get a GPA, class rank, and more importantly the skills and place before starting applying, they would not see high school as a four year stretch when they only have three years to have everything done,” Simmons said.

Ivanna Krippa, a new addition to the college and career center, has been helping Simmons and is also working to help students.

Krippa enjoys interacting with students and breaking down misconceptions about higher education.

“It’s so hard to explain how life changing college is, how needed higher education is to someone with no exposure to the job markets out there.” Krippa said.

Simmons has many plans for the students and is hoping to get many things accomplished.

“We still have a long way  to go with much stuff to do, but the ball is rolling,” Simmons said.