HOSA excels at State Championships

Over the weekend, seven Health Occupations Students of America members competed in the HOSA State Championships in Galveston.

The seven HOSA students that went to Galveston had qualified at area finals in January to compete in the state level.

At the event, two teams received awards in the EMT skills category.

“Emergency Medical Training skills is composed of all of the basic skills you need as an EMT,” senior Clarissa Pedraza said. “You do tasks like back boarding people and checking vital signs. Your goal is to keep them safe and alive.”

Pedraza and senior Madeline Herrera participated in the EMT skills competition.

“I was pretty confident, going into the competition,” Pedraza said. “We’ve been practicing this over and over every other day for months.”

Pedraza and Herrera placed fourth in EMT skills.

“I was happy that we placed,” Pedraza said. “I was really excited, but kind of sad due to the fact that we didn’t place high enough to go to Nationals.”

Seniors Angel Nava and Salim Elakhras also participated in EMT skills, and placed first.

“I was so happy when I found out that we placed first since no one from our school has ever placed first,” Nava said. “I was also sad because our other EMT team did not make it. It was bittersweet but I’m extremely proud of everyone.”

Since the duo placed first, Nava and Elakhras will be traveling to Nashville, Tennessee in June for HOSA National Championships.

“I’m really nervous for nationals,” Nava said. “We have to compete against fifty other states and that’s pretty difficult. I’m excited to see the beautiful sites in Nashville though.”

Jenschke is proud of the student’s performances and accomplishments.

“This is the first time in Akins history of first place in any skills competition,” HOSA advisor Rebecca Jenschke said. “Everyone did very well and it is a big honor even to qualify for states.”