Student designs for a cure

Natalie Chapman, Staff Reporter

Like many students at Akins Senior Michael Feser spends a lot of his time surfing on YouTube. Unlike most of his peers, his time spent on YouTube is trying to help those suffering from cancer find a cure.

Feser, who taught himself how to use Adobe graphic design software, creates “speed art,” which consists of a time-lapse demonstration of his artwork to create his graphic coupled with background music.

“At first, learning how to use the software was rough,” Feser said. “But after getting feedback from those I originally got my inspiration from it pushed me to continue my work and have more of a drive for my hobby.”

Through participating in online graphic design contests, Feser stumbled upon the inspiring work of 17-year-old Brandon Street from the United Kingdom who started the GFX4Cancer organization.

“GFX4Cancer was what I came up with combining a hobby with something I really aspire to do, donate,” according to Street’s Web site.

Feser was attracted to the organization after reading about Street, whose sister of 12 years old had been suffering with cancer for four years . Like Street, Feser knew he couldn’t physically help her, but realized that they could apply their advanced graphic design skills into a giving project to raise awareness and money for cancer research organizations in the United Kingdom.

Street’s graphic design group is a YouTube based organization that shares various graphic designs and tutorial videos and sell their designs to businesses and any potential buyers to raise money to donate to cancer research organizations. Feser said he felt like his talents were a natural fit for this organization.

The YouTube channel raises money through direct donations, selling artist graphics, and through the money that YouTube pays them for every view they get.

Within its first two months the channel gained a partnership in which YouTube pays them for every view they get on its videos.

GFX4Cancer consists of 24 contributing artists and is supported by over 5,000 subscribers.

Instead of only making graphic designs and uploading them on YouTube, GFX4Cancer also sells their own clothing merchandise which is featured that contains their organization logo and uplifting slogans as another way to raise money.

Feser said he gets to apply his work to something meaningful and be a part of a partnership that gives a true meaning to giving back with other teens around the world.

Using his artistic passion for creating graphic designs he gets to express his creative side.

“I am doing what I love making graphics and uploading them on YouTube,” Feser said.

Although Feser does not personally know anyone who has suffered with cancer he said he is happy to help a noble cause.

“If you’re watching graphics online why not give to cancer at the same time,” Feser said.