Religious Music Keeps Friends United

Senior Roy Cisneros drums for the Christian band Feed the Faith for 4 years

photo courtesy of Roy Cisneros

Senior Roy Cisneros drums along at a live performance in San Antonio, Texas with his fellow band mates at a concert. This was their first huge gig where they sold band merchandise

Jose Salazar, Staff Writer

A group of friends, that have known each other for 10 years, decided to form a band together. Their inspiration, music, is what brought them to life and it’s what started the band “Feed the Faith.

Some students choose to be actors, some are engineers, dancers, or journalists. But for Roy Cisneros being in a band with his friends is his talent and home.

Feed The Faith is the band that senior, Cisneros, plays with. The band has per- formed all over the state of Texas in places like the Rio Grande Valley, La Grange, Waxahachie, San Antonio, San Marcos, Austin and even in places outside the state like in Orlando, Florida and Mexico.

“I love performing in a band. It brought me to life and without it, I would be nothing,” Cisneros said.

“I rather perform with my friends in this band than do anything else. It’s just that fun.”

Cisneros, a senior at Akins, is the only member of the band that attends Akins. He is the drummer and works as the band’s manager.

“I do a lot for the band I put concerts and gigs together, I run our Facebook and Instagram, and I also keep us all organized,” Cisneros said.

Feed the Faith is a contemporary Christian band that performs in churches all over the city of Austin. The band rehearses at the King of Glory Church in North Austin.

“It’s fun to be in a band, especially if you’re doing it with friends you’ve known for 10 years,” Cisneros said. “We’re more like brothers than we are friends, and because I love playing music with them, it isn’t boring, it’s great.”

Feed the Faith has been together for a long time, however Cisneros doesn’t believe that the band will stick together for very long due to the fact that older band members will be going to college, while younger members of the band will stay in high school. But while it might look questionable if the band will stay together or not, they will continue to perform until the moment comes when they have to go their separate ways.

Cisneros said he has known lead vocalist and guitar player Matthew Ortiz for 10 years so they have a close connection.”We started this band together and I rather do music with my band and friends than anything else,” Cisneros said.

Other members of the band include Roberto, who plays the piano and helps write the songs, Andrew Ortiz plays the bass, and Matthew Ortiz sings, plays the guitar and writes the songs.

“I love music and I love being on stage and performing with my bandmates,” Matthew Ortiz said. “It’s the only thing I’m good at.”

When the band isn’t performing or rehearsing, the members entertain themselves with other activities like going out to eat or just watching a movie.

Ortiz believes that their contemporary Christian band is both tiring and fun, and he enjoys every moment he has being with friends.