Environmental science students have learning experience

Environmental Science is the basic study of our environment and the solution of environmental problems. Recently the AP Environmental Science class visited The University of Texas at Austin to visit greenhouses and speak with ambassadors and professors about researching and life in the field of environmental science.

On the trip, the group visited two green houses.

“The first greenhouse contained xeric plants, which are plants that need water to survive,” AP Environmental Science teacher Ashley McGowan said. “The second greenhouse contained switch grass and algae. These are both being developed as the base materials for biodiesel.”

Many students enjoyed the second greenhouse due to its location.

“The second greenhouse was on a rooftop,” junior Dylan Kinsey said. “The view was really cool and it’s was different from anything I’ve been to before.”

The AP group also viewed a working lab.

“The lab had a large collection of algae, and talked about the importance of algae on earth, and students got to observe a collection of rare tropical algae that are being developed for medicine and other materials,” McGowan said.

Along with science events, the class also visited the new student activity center.

“The student activity center is a huge building where students can go and study,” Kinsey said. “You can eat, sleep and study there. It’s practically a big lounge.”

The trip was sponsored by UTeach and EcoRise Austin.

“Both organizations plan to continue this relationship for future learning opportunities for Environmental Science Majors on campus,” McGowan said.