African-American Heritage Program hits stage Thursday

Cassie Obi, Sports Editor

Akins will honor black history month on Thursday at 6 p.m. during it’s annual African-American Heritage program in the theatre.

Students recently recognized the contributions from various campus organizations such as the recent performance by band, orchestra and guitar groups at the new Performing Arts Center (PAC). However, campus administrators, faculty and students wanted to celebrate the event at Akins, as well.

From academic to theatric, this event touches bases with the the various achievements the black community at our school as well as educating us on the enriching and soulful history of the past ancestors of the United States through various performances, whether musically, theatrically, academically or even through a brief documentary.

African-Americans are nominated by teachers to receive awards by the primary organizers of the Program.

This event also emphasizes the importance of black achievements, increasing a sense of value and unity. It celebrates how blacks have been immensely influential in the past regardless of the negative influence that’s been thrown at them in the past and to be able to not only overlook that but to successfully surpass expectations and stereotypes imposed on them in such a grandiose way.

This program encourages that ancestral successes don’t stop there; that they still and will continue on with the black community.