Teachers take their leave from campus

Faculty exists after years of service throughout various roles in Akins community

Michael Galindo and Nic Sokolowski

Eric John, Agriculture teacher; Vickie Warr, AHA academy coordinator; Kristina Vannoy, math teacher; Mary Singer, English teacher

Jose Salazar, Staff Writer

A few teachers have decided to leave or retire from Akins and move on to doing what they want to do.

“I want to spend time with my children,” English teacher Mary Singer said. “It’s always been fun working here and every day has been different, both challenging and rewarding. It’s fulfilling to watch the kids learn to love writing and expressing themselves better; seeing them become better citizens.”

Singer has experienced new things from watching her students grow and become model citizens throughout the years.

“I’ve learned that kids today work much harder than the kids of my generation. What I’ll miss most about Akins are the kids,” Singer said. “They’re smart, interesting, funny, and they create beautiful writing.”

Arts and Humanities Academy Coordinator Vickie Warr has decided to retire after a long career of education. During her time at Akins, Warr taught English, Visual Media and Documentary Analysis.

“I definitely won’t miss getting up everyday, but I’ll miss the energy level of the students,” Warr said. “I’ll miss my faculty friends, and the fact that there was always something new to look forward to.”

Working at Akins has kept Warr young at heart by being around young people and has strengthened her belief that everything will be OK, she said.

“I would like everyone to believe in themselves and to stay open to all possibilities; don’t be afraid to take risks because that’s how we all grow,” Warr said.

Science, Technology, Engineering and Math Academy Coordinator Kristina Vannoy is not retiring this year, but she is planning to take a teaching job in the Dripping Springs school district. Vannoy said she decided to take the job in Dripping Springs to make her commute to and from work shorter.

However, she said she looks forward to attending the Class of 2015 graduation before she leaves Akins.

“I’m definitely going to miss the amazing friendships I’ve made with the teaches and the awesome students,” Vannoy said.

In addition to the mathematical concepts she taught, Vannoy said she hopes her students will take away some important life lessons from her classes.

“I would like for all my students to be flexible and to roll with whatever comes their way,” Vannoy said. “Just try finding the best in everyone.”

Agriculture teacher Eric John will be leaving Akins on June 30. John will be going to work in the private sector, which deals with agricultural commodities.

“I’ll miss the atmosphere that the school provides, and I’ll miss the students and the care that the faculty has for each other,” John said.

John, who has helped many students raise animals as the sponsor of Future Farmers of America, said he will miss everything about Akins.

“It’s been a joy to know I was a great asset for the Green Tech program,” John said. “Continue doing a great job and continue being great.”