Student Support Services office finds new home upstairs

SSS office relocated to 2nd floor red hall to accommodate incoming A+FCU bank

Darcie Papillion

Social worker Colleen Arnold stands at her new SSS office in the red hall.

Zeta Handy, Staff Writer

When students experience anxiety or hardships, they have been able to turn to Student Support Services (SSS) in their office at the front of the school for the last nine years.

The SSS is a place to turn to on campus when students need to talk to a counselor or attend one of its support groups that help students through difficult times in their lives. So when students heard that their office was going to be moving, it raised concerns among some who liked the location where it is.

However, school social worker Colleen Arnold said she hopes the new location near RM 252 in the second floor red hall might actually be an improvement because of increased visibility by students. Currently, the office is tucked away in a hallway that often goes unnoticed by students.

“When it’s (upstairs) they can notice,” said senior Destiny Rivera. “They see because (now) it’s more hidden. And if people can see they might be like “oh I can go by there”

The SSS is moving because the campus will be remodeling the old office area into a new bank branch for A+ Federal Credit Union.

To help ensure that students will have privacy at the new location, construction workers will remove some lockers and install a door from the main hallway to improve accessibility to the rooms. The rooms where the SSS will be next year are currently accessed through room 252.

“We can use (the new office) to have private conversations with students,” Arnold said. “Nothing is going to change about how we help the students. I hope that they don’t feel like they can’t come to us because of the new location. What we offer is all still going to be the same from prom dresses and tickets to snacks and if you even need school supplies anything you need for school. And of course if you need to talk we will listen and everything will be confidential.”

AVID teacher Christina Garcia-Mata said she is glad the new SSS office will be closer to her room.

“It helps with kids in the portables when they get called to the SSS or just need someone to talk to,” she said. “I like the idea of the change of room but Ms. Arnold might be sad that she’s leaving because she’s been there for so long and then she even painted the walls.”