Akins Eagle Band celebrates recent competition results

Tate Fincher

Drum Majors and Guard Captains celebrate at the USBands Southwestern Championships in Dallas, TX on Saturday Oct. 21.

Javier Arellano, Section Editor

For band students, Oct. 21 – 24 was an eventful several days as they won two major awards.

Members of the Akins Eagle Band went to Arlington, Texas to compete at the USBands Southwestern Championship on Saturday, Oct. 21. After a long 3 hour bus ride, the band performed twice at the AT&T Stadium, home of the Dallas Cowboys. The band was the Runner-Up Class Champion for Class IV in the preliminary round, and scored a spot in finals, where they placed 10th overall.

A couple of days later, the band was ready for another major performance at the 2017 UIL Region 18 Marching Contest. The Akins Eagle Band rehearsed during the school day to prepare for their performance at Burger Stadium on Tuesday, Oct. 24. The band received straight First Division Ratings from all three judges, awarding the band a 1st Division Rating for its 15th year in a row.

“It was amazing that we had the opportunity to be there and play in the Cowboys Stadium” Head Drum Major Marisa Bosquez said.

The Akins Eagle Band is currently preparing for their final competition at the USBands REMO Series Finale on Saturday, Nov. 4.