Teen works towards new way of life

Imagine living in a world where you consider yourself a boy, but in reality are known as girl because of your gender. I struggle to explain why that is, but don’t know how to.

Well, that’s what this whole story is about, coming out to my peers as a Transgender boy.

People say that kids end up like this because of some sort of terrible tragedy when honestly that is not the case for every person who is apart of the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender community.

As a child I never understood why I was called a “tomboy” or a “lesbian” when I was neither of those, but only a boy being himself. Ever since I was in elementary school I knew that I was one of the guys being out playing football, video games, and being attracted to women.

It wasn’t until the end of my junior year of high school when I discovered that taking hormones was my true identity.

A male who is interested in becoming a woman takes “estrogen” which will help him transition to becoming a female by being more feminine, have woman features, and change his voice to being softer.

A female who wants to be a man takes “testosterone”, which increases his voice box to be deeper, grow facial hair, and have a male’s physical appearance. As of now I am looking around Austin to find doctors who can help me get my transition started as soon as I finish my senior year.

In some states people who want to make this change are required to see a therapist before or during their transition for three months to show doctors that they are capable of taking hormones.

In my case the therapy sessions I would have to take are called “transsexual hormone therapy” which helps me overcome the issues I will be facing during my transition such as; higher risk for heart disease, male pattern baldness, anger and violence, and that changes are irreversible.

Removing my breasts is the only body surgery I plan on doing. Once I am done with my transition I’m also going to change my gender on my social security card and on my drivers license.The last thing I’d like to point out about being transgender is that it affects me negatively when I am referred to as a young woman, ma’am, or a she. I am a male just trying to live.