Student provides possible alternatives to otherwise empty lockers

Removal of unused area could be used for vending machines, trophy cases, tardy checkpoints

Santos Gutierrez, Staff Writer

What are we supposed to do with lockers? Does it bug people? Are they a waste of space?

Personally, I see potential. We could use the lockers in a different way or even take them out and add something different, like vending machines, trophy cases, or some kind of tardy sweep checkpoints.

Vending machines

This idea could go downhill very fast if not executed right, but really if they sold the same snacks as the cafeteria I think the machines would do well.

Pros:

The school would profit off of the machines and kids probably wouldn’t be so hungry all the time.

Cons:

Students might just leave the trash around campus. And students are not supposed to eat in class because it’s a “distraction.” Maybe it’d be easier for the students to focus if they weren’t so hungry, but, moving on.

Trophy cases

This idea is pretty simple, the content of the trophy cases would vary depending on location but would all have the same basic content.

Pros:

The basics would display student work, teacher schedules for information on tutorial times, and other things that the teacher would like to add. The walls behind it could be painted by students and teachers to let a lost student know where they are. For example: “welcome to the green hall” or “STEM welcomes you!”

Cons:

The average trophy case is around $300, and if you multiply that number by the number of spaces there would be without the lockers, it would add up fast.

Tardy sweep checkpoints

How many innocent students have been caught in tardy sweeps and then the consequences add up to major things like losing credits? And for what? You couldn’t walk fast enough, you wanted water, you were kept after class and then you were told it’s your problem to make it on time. Little things like that can turn you into a senior with not enough credits to graduate.

Or we could have checkpoints, here’s how it would work. If you are in the designated checkpoint area during a tardy sweep then you might be able to get through. And if your class is within three rooms in any direction, you pass.

And for the students that just roam or walk slow for no reason, it actually is on them because if they don’t want to get swept then they should hustle to class or the checkpoint if they know that they cannot make it on time.

Pros:

Student credits wouldn’t be damaged over insignificant things, there wouldn’t be as many students in Saturday school, students that had the intention of wandering would be caught or would have to go to class if they were close enough. And looking at it from a human perspective instead of a student perspective, some students wouldn’t have to face home consequences from receiving the Saturday schools.

Cons:

Students that actually want to go to class would have the chance to make it, the students that don’t would be caught and assigned to Saturday school or be in the checkpoint and forced to go to class.