De La Vega becoming nice fit for lady Eagles

This season, the Lady Eagles Varsity basketball team faced many changes. The season turned into a learning process, they were able to build a relationship within the team, and bond together as a family.

The program opened up their arms to sophomore Zazil De la Vega, who transferred to Akins earlier this school year.

Being the newest member of not only the basketball program nor school, but also to Texas, change was a bit overwhelming.

“I was born in Goshen, Indiana,” De la Vega said. “And I transferred to Akins from Goshen High School.”

Change didn’t come easy, but De la Vega worked through it with determination and perseverance.

“It was a challenge for me at first having to adapt to new people and new rules,” De la Vega said. “I had to win my place on the team so I knew I had to push through challenging moments and get comfortable with the uncomfortable.”

De la Vega’s biggest obstacle was settling in with the rest of the team, when all she wanted to do was play basketball.

“I had frustrating moments sometimes being the new student,” De la Vega said. “Fortunately I had the support from my coaches and family which was a big help for me and things started to get into place.”

Not only was the addition of a new member to the team a major change, but also the communication within the team both on and off the court.

“A huge improvement has been improving our communication and coming together as a team,” senior Iliana Dominguez said. “We’ve learned how to bond and play as one.”

Bonding has been key to the team, which has given them a stronger relationship to connect with one another.

“Throughout the games I got comfortable in the team and decided to plan a sleep over with them to get to know them better,” De la Vega said. “We had so much fun together as a team and that’s when we got closer and I knew that I was apart of the team now.”

But the win, of course, didn’t come easy, nor was it handed to them, they had to work for it, because every great improvement has come after repeated failure.

“The team has made many improvements over the season,” De la Vega said. “But we’ve failed many times individually and as a team. We’ve learned from our mistakes and improved on working together.”

After losing a tough game, the members of the basketball team talk about their mistakes and the things the team can improve on for their next game.

“Sometimes we really need someone to step up and bring the intensity up the next day at practice,” De la Vega said. “But we are all ready to get it together for our next game.

Bringing in a positive attitude to the program plays an important role to not just the program, but as well as the entire team and teammates.

“When it comes to attitude Zazil De la Vega has the best attitude,” senior Emily Hemmitt said. “She’s always smiling, whether we just finished running or even when she makes a mistake. She’s always so positive.”

De la Vega has made a lot of improvements personally and contributes her part to the team alongside her teammates.

“Z has an amazing shot, loves the game, and loves to learn,” head coach Helena Martin said. “Few kids like to watch basketball and actually learn from it, but Z is often watching games.”

The season has been a huge learning experience for not only the team, but De la Vega feels like there has been a lot to learn from personally as well.

“I’ve learned a lot from this season,” De la Vega said. “It was full of improvement after a fail and most importantly we’ve had so much fun this season.”

De la Vega had a lot of support that really had helped her get through the season, not just from her family and coaches, but teammates as well.

“Most importantly my teammate Ashley Lopez was the one who made me feel comfortable, and gave me confidence to be able to fit in the team,” De la Vega said. “We’ve had good chemistry and she has helped me push through the bad moments throughout our season.”

Earning a spot on a varsity team isn’t handed out to any player; they would have to prove to the coaches as well as the program, that they deserve the spot on a highly skilled team.

“Being a transfer student and having to start all over again, and showing not just the coaches, but the members of the program what you are capable of doing on the court for your team and winning your place in varsity is something that makes me feel really good and proud of myself,” De la Vega said.

The coaching staff for the basketball program has been supporting De la Vega since day one, and has made sure that she felt comfortable not only with the team but overall in school.

“Varsity girls welcomed Z as if she was always apart of our family,” Martin said. “Z is a Godsend, she’s supposed to be here. I am blessed with amazing kids that see how others can help and they never questioned her to my knowledge. If they did, once they saw her play they knew she was worth it.”

As the season progresses, De la Vega has tried and put a lot of effort into every practice and game to show her gratitude not only to the coaching staff but her teammates as well.

“Being on varsity is more intense and challenging,” De la Vega said. “But I like it and I’m honored to play with the varsity Lady Eagles.”