Lady Eagles take down district for second consecutive year, boys also impress

The lady Eagles finished another impressive year with three girls becoming district champions and three girls placing second in their divisions. Sophomores Anna Becerra, Blanca Martinez, and senior Nancy Ramirez won their weight class to become district champions. This is the second straight year the lady Eagles have won district.

“It felt great to win,” Becerra said. “During warm-ups I told the girls that it would be awesome if we won district again. I’m proud of all of us. We all came together as a team to win district the second time in a row.”

The three runner-ups were sophomore Gabi Reyes, junior Natalie Chapman, and senior Karla Nigoche.

“I was happy because I felt like I made my opponent earn first place,” Reyes said. “I put up a really good fight and she was a good 20 pounds heavier than me. I was proud of myself for not giving up and giving it my all.”

The boys had three standouts as well. Junior Austin Boles placed first to win his class, junior Alex Boles placed second and senior Frank Callahan placed third within their divisions.

“I was disappointed in myself,” Alex said. “I have trained so hard this year and I lost because I panicked. I have had a lot of fun. Even though I lost I have also learned a lot. Now all I have on my mind is winning at regionals then moving on to state and winning state.”

Regionals take place on Friday and Saturday, February 8th and 9th. If any competitor advances on they will compete at the state competition on February 21st-23rd.