Stand for the National Anthem or take Kaepernick’s side

Spencer Seyfarth, Staff Writer

Colin Kaepernick, the quarterback of the San Francisco 49ers, is not the first professional athlete to use his fame to protest something he believes is wrong.

However, he has captivated a lot of attention for his ongoing protest, which is not as common today as it has been in years past.

Kaepernick, who was born to a white mother and a black father and was adopted, has been either sitting or kneeling during the National Anthem since the beginning of the NFL season. While his protest has gained some support, he has also been criticized by other players and fans who said he was disrespecting the military.

But Kaepernick says he is not standing up “to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color.”

“To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way,” he said in an interview with NFL Media. “There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.” Kaepernick’s protest is catching on among collegiate and even high school athletes.

A high school football player in Worcester, Kaepernick was suspended for kneeling during the national anthem. His coaches and principals decided to suspend him for one game.

“I’m standing up to the injustice that happens to black people every day, not just cops killing black people,” he wrote on Twitter. Some players at the college level are also feeling compelled to follow Kaepernick’s lead in the protest. However, I believe William McRaven, the University of Texas System Chancellor, provided a strong rebuttal to any other athletes whether they’re professional, collegiate, or high school level.

It’s these kinds of sacrifices that are being honored as a tradition at the beginning of sporting events. Not the misbehavior and discriminatory actions of a few bad police officers. I think that Kaepernick should keep doing what he is doing but he should do it off the field and forget it and go play ball.