End of an era for the Patriots?

Back to Article
Back to Article

End of an era for the Patriots?

staff illustration

staff illustration

staff illustration

Spencer Seyfarth, Staff Writer

Super Bowl LII was a game for the ages and a long wait for the Philly Eagles fans who have never had a chance to celebrate a national championship.

The last time they were in the the Super Bowl was 2005 when they also faced the Patriots, but lost. But they finally got the job done in 2018 and defeated the reigning champs New England Patriots, who have won five Super Bowls in the team’s franchise history.

The game was a great one. Both offenses seemed as if neither team’s defense could stop the other. Eagles quarterback Nick Foles, who graduated from nearby Westlake High School, passed for 373 yards and threw for three touchdowns. This performance  helped him win Super Bowl MVP. He became  the first backup quarterback to win since Patriots quarterback Tom Brady claimed that title in 2000.

Brady also had a huge game, throwing for 505 yards and three touchdowns. However, it wasn’t enough to put the Patriots on the top of the scoreboard.

In my opinion, the Super Bowl this year was a good game, but not as good as the one last year, when the Patriots came back from being down 28-3. Also the TV ratings for the Super Bowl this year were the worst in nine years only drawing in 103.4 million viewers.

In my eyes, this is the end to a great era for the Patriots. Most of the NFL fans are glad that it is coming to an end  because I know for sure I’m tired of seeing the Patriots in every single Super Bowl.

And for Philly this could be the start to a new dynasty. They have the defence to stop any team that comes their way and the offense is pretty good. They also have Quarterback Carson Wentz with a great receiver core featuring Alshon Jeffery.  

About the Writer
Spencer Seyfarth, Staff Writer

Name: Spencer Seyfarth
Grade: 12
Academy:New Tech
Year on Staff: 2
Title: Staff Writer
Why they are on Staff? Because the class is fun
What do you...