Girls varsity basketball team in reboot mode

The varsity team has recruited many younger players

Jose Hernandez

Senior Kianna Haider lifts off for a layup shot in the game against the Del Valle Cardinals.

Evelyn Moreno, Staff Writer

The Lady Eagles varsity basketball team has had a bumpy road this year and there are different causes for this but the team has stuck with each other through thick and thin.

With a lot of seniors leaving last year and a new shift in the team a lot more underclassmen have taken bigger roles some even making starting spots on the team.

Freshman Emma Perez said, “joining varsity is a dream of mine knowing what my sister did can put pressure on me but I know I’m gonna leave my mark on this team just like my sister did.”

Despite girls varsity basketball team is 4-12 at this moment in the season, this year the varsity team has a lot of talented players on their team. ey all have been blending well together and have been putting some really impressive performances against Del Valle and a blow wins against Travis showing that when the team is clicking good things are coming out of it.

This year there are three freshmen on the girls’ varsity basketball team. Head coach Erica Routt said, ” having such young players on varsity can be a good and bad thing.”

“Well it’s a good feeling and you know it can be a little bit scary at the same time because they’re talented but they all have that experience,” Routt said.

Multiple Upperclassmen players stated that it could be a good or bad thing playing with freshman players because they need more learning to do as they play. Building experience is all apart of the bumpy road for this team but they know that its gonna pay off this season.

“It can be frustrating sometimes because it’s a little hard because we have to tell them stuff multiple times but they will get it through their head eventually but other than that I like to know they’re young and like they’re on this level or like it’s pretty cool,” senior Kaylani Hernandez said.

Hernandez is passionate about what she does and is willing to help out her teammates no matter what grade they’re in. Eventually, they will learn something off of that and they’re techniques will get better as well. Shes learned to take on a leadership role for her team because she’s been at where they are at right now and its a scary thing but she knows it will give them confidence going forward.

“I think the team has a lot of learning and growing to do since we lost 7 seniors last year so we’re all kinda in the same boat, But we’re getting there,” junior Jaidyn Trevino said.

Trevino knows that the freshman need to work on some techniques but she also knows that the team will do really great if the underclassmen are ready to give it they’re all. But she understood that at the end of the day they all continue to benefit from each other and will build chemistry to finish this season.

“Being on the varsity team is an amazing feeling and it’s been my dream come true, “ freshman Emma Perez said.

Jaden Garrion contributed to this story.