EE Athlete Features: Sophia Rivera

Back to Article
Back to Article

EE Athlete Features: Sophia Rivera

Junior Sophia Rivera dominates her opponent and looks up to her coach for her next move to finish the match against an opponent from Lanier High School in January. Rivera, who has been wrestling since her freshmen year had a 44-12 record this year and competed at the state level.

Mylo Bissell

Mylo Bissell

Mylo Bissell

Justen Arzola, Staff Writer

At some schools, athletes see wrestling as a sport they do to stay in shape for another sport; however, for junior Sophia Rivera it’s the main event.

Rivera, who has been wrestling since her freshmen year had a 44-12 record this year and competed at the state level.

“I love this sport,” Rivera said. “I practice ten hours a week and I’ve left blood my sweat blood, sweat, and tears on the mat and it’s a great feeling to reap the outcome.”

Rivera was district and regional champion this season. She then advanced to be a state qualifier this past season.

The season was full of great accomplishments and I’m glad I was able to contribute to the success.”

— Sophia Rivera

“The season was full of great accomplishments and I’m glad I was able to contribute to the success,” Rivera said.

Although wrestling is considered an individual sport, Rivera said she believes it’s her job as a member of the Akins wrestling program to be a contributor and a leader for the other wrestlers.

Rivera doesn’t just focus on wrestling all of the time. She also is a member of the Akins varsity volleyball team. She takes pride in being a two-sport athlete while having to make sure her grades are good, too.

”I know that for some it might seem like a lot of work to balance grades and my sport, but I take pride in it,” Rivera said. “I’ve learned that I need to keep myself disciplined in order to represent my school the way I want.”

As for her future plans, Rivera is looking forward to returning for her senior-year seasons in volleyball and wrestling.

“As for now, I plan to focus on my academics and workout to stay in shape,” Rivera said. “And if the opportunity comes I’ll consider wrestling in college.”

About the Writer
Justen Arzola, Online Sports Editor

Name: Justen Arzola
Grade: 12
Academy: New tech
Year on Staff: 3rd
Title: Online Sports Editor
Why they are on staff?: I like using computers.
What...