Theatre students act for their final exam

Directors stage The Best of Broadway, Almost Maine

Gregory Eldred, Staff Writer

While most students’ final exams consist of multiple choice exams, theater students get to put on a show.

It’s been a tradition for students majoring in performance to stage their own abbreviated plays as a final exam project. This year, there have been a variety of productions including those involving witches, gangsters and various love stories.

Maureen Siegel’s two theater one classes wrote their plays — “Girl Gone” and “Psycho Therapy” — and performed them in late April.

This is the first for a class called musical theater, which performed their show called “The Best of Broadway” in mid May. The show included songs from broadway musicals,like “Chicago,” “Rent,” “Wicked” and others.

Advanced theater (second-, third- and fourth- year students) performed “Almost, Maine,” a play directed by senior Bailey Irwin, who has been in theater classes at Akins for four years. Irwin’s show, which is open to the public will be on the 27, Wednesday at 5:30 p.m.

The shows are final exam projects, but they are also an entertaining way for the Akins community to enjoy the hard work of the theater department.

“I’m excited because it’s been a long year and I’m ready to show the result of my work,” junior Joshua Solis said, who is an actor in “Almost, Maine”.

“The Best of Broadway” was directed by Seigel, a dance director from D’Ettedance school, and Brooke Beasley, a choir teacher at Bailey Middle School. There was no lead in both plays, and “everyone is showcased and has his/her moment,” Seigel said.

“We have very little time to prepare for Almost Maine, but it’s coming along nicely”, Irwin said.

The theater department has staged this show before, and Irwin watched it here when she was a freshman.

“The actors are very good”, Irwin said. “I’m trying to make the play flow with the actors.”

“Almost, Maine” is about different people who live in an unorganized town The play follows the lives of people who deal with the best and worst of love.

Both plays are what the students have strived to bring to life so they can make a memorable performance.