Class becomes a place to show ones creative side

Cassi Obi

Senior Ruben Castro plays the guitar around students that participate in Senior Issiah Harris’ “Wisdom of Art” FIT session. Students can get an opportunity to share and express themselves in a way where they are comfortable in room 232.

Matthew Rocha, Photo Editor

Senior Briana Trevino is not unaccustomed to singing in front of a large crowd, but that wasn’t always the case.

“I love performing it’s my passion, I do get really nervous my hands start sweating, heart start beating in my chest and sometimes I tell myself I can’t do it but I say ‘no.’ I worked to hard. I earn it. Let me at least try to see what I can do,” Trevino said.

Trevino recently performed a song she wrote during the “Wisdom of Art” session that is held Tuesday through Thursday during Georgiana Morell’s Flexible Instructional Time period. The song called “Stand Up and Try” is about never giving up on your dreams even if you find yourself in a dark place you’ll just get back up and try again.

She said she wrote the song because it was a personal experience, afraid to do things that will upset someone and feel like that one time they do it they’ll regret it. “Try to do it before you say you can’t do it,” she said.

Trevino is just one of many students who have found a welcoming and supportive group of people to share her creativity and imagination with.

“Don’t let fear in your ,head or your heart, be the reason why you don’t do something. Always try to do it before you say you can’t,” said Trevino.

Senior Isiah Harris said the Wisdom of Art sessions are a cross between an open mic session and a safe haven for Akins students who are interested in sharing their feelings. Harris, who helps run the sessions, invites poets, musicians, rappers and artists of all types to perform or just listen to other students.

“We took a pledge for our fellow artists saying: I’ll try my hardest to reach my goal, dreams without goals remain dreams, we support everyone in this room, we will spread love and unity throughout this campus,” Harris said.

Harris has made activities to help them get out of their shells and be open, and be honest knowing that no one will judge them or make fun of them for what they have to say. The activities that he has in mind include reciting poems or singing and rapping a song in front of the entire class room so they can freely express their feelings.

Senior Jose Enamorado said he was scared at first when he rapped in front of the class but at the end he felt that it went well and it was not a disaster. “I honestly have bad stage fright, but before I perform I relax and tell myself that everything is going to be fine”,said Enamorado.

The activities that Harris has made for the class, has brought all of the students closer together as friends,and as a family and they will all be there for each other when times are rough, impossible and hard to forget.

“Here in the Wisdom of Art Class we are a family, we have dreams that are goals, and without goals it remains just a dream forever,” Harris said.