Short drive south to EVO Entertainment provides affordable fun

Marcelo Cruz, Graduating senior

There’s nothing to do. This is a common feeling experienced by teenagers on a lazy weekend or blasé summer break. Sometimes the search for entertainment ends at the city limits of Austin. However, with just a short drive south of Austin, bored teens can find an assortment of ways to have fun at EVO Entertainment in Kyle.

EVO represents an example of a new trend in entertainment providers that brings together some of the most popular diversions all under the same roof. This 70,000-square-foot complex offers movie theaters, bowling lanes, a restaurant and bar, a full arcade, as well as private event space.

The restaurant HardiHoods includes a variety of foods like burgers, chicken wings, pizza, pulled pork, and a variety of salads. The main appetizers are fried mozzarella sticks, onion rings, and fried dill pickle chips. With special deals almost every day, it is very affordable to spend a whole day playing games, or bowling.

This hot spot is the perfect place to hangout with friends, or you could even go on a date to EVO and have fun all day. After watching a movie, friends and family can enjoy some friendly competition at the 14-lane bowling alley. Each lane can accommodate up to six people. Every Monday, EVO offers “Monday Night Mania” in which the bowling lanes are half off, and the shoe rental is only $1.

EVO screens a good variety of the latest movies on its 11 screens. Regular showtime prices are $7 for adults and $5 for seniors, military personnel, students and children. Tickets for a showing in the EVX theater, with the immersive audio system, range from $6.50- $8.50. Every Tuesday all movie tickets are only $5 with tax. On Wednesdays and Sundays EVO hosts “FlashBack Cinema” which features classic movies like Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

The arcade has plenty of games for all ages although it can be a little pricey. However, every Wednesday all the games are half off for a cheap way to have fun for hours. The arcade includes some brand new games such as Grand Piano Keys, which is the piano version of Guitar Hero. It also has the modern-day classic Jurassic Park, which is an interactive shooter where players sit in a booth and use toy guns to defend against the dangerous dinosaurs. EVO also has a patio with a stage to hosts special events on Saturdays with live music performed by DJ’s or Austin locals such as Sara Louise, or Nate Guthrie.

EVO can also be a great place to host a birthday party with private party rooms available.Senior Jordan Henson said EVO Entertainment is a better option than many other entertainment centers in the Austin area. “It’s a great experience for everybody and it’s affordable unlike other places like Dave and Busters,” he said.

About the Writer
Marcelo Cruz, Co-Photo Editor
Name: Marcelo Cruz Grade: 12 Academy: New Tech Year on Staff: 3rd year Title: Co-Photo Editor I joined Akins newspaper because iv’e always loved taking photos and writing, being on staff allows me to show others my work. My side hobbies other than taking photos is playing games on the Xbox One and watching anime....