Trail of Lights dazzles on anniversary

Annual holiday lights attract crowds to enjoy festivities, food vendors

Maheen Anjun

Junior Annette Canales helps prepare the Candy Land display. It was the first year that Canales volunteered. She said she had a great experience and looks forward to doing it again.

Maheen Anjum, Features Editor

This winter marks the 50th anniversary of Trail of Lights

In honor of the 50th celebration new displays adorn the 1.25 mile long trail. It also includes an interactive Santa’s Workshop and Candy Land display.

“We are so excited to celebrate 50 years of the Trail of Lights at the 2014 event and remain committed to setting the course for the Trail of Lights for many years to come,” said Mario Espinoza, president of the Trail of Lights Foundation, in a press release.

The Trail of Lights Foundation’s 2014 Annual Fundraising campaign seeks to raise $50,000 in 50 days to celebrate the 50th celebration.

There were several student volunteers from Akins at Trail of Lights during the grand opening on Dec. 8.

Junior Annette Nicole Canales and Jessica Salinas volunteered at the Candyland display.

“I was excited because I knew it’s going to be fun volunteering,” Canales said.

Salinas said she enjoyed serving her community by participating in Trail of Lights.

“People loved that we were so full of energy which made the task easier,” Salinas said. “All you had to do was be fun and bubbly.”

There were many varieties of food offered at the trail. Vendors sold food items such as kettle corn, funnel cakes, Krispy Kreme Donuts, and Amy’s ice cream.

During the grand opening the temperature was in the low 60s and many Austinites wore warm clothing such as fur boots, coats and even santa hats.

“One minute there was about 10 people, the next minute there was at least 30 people in Candy Land display,” said Katrina Stewart, another volunteer at the Trail of Lights.

The grand opening brought in many Austinites. Parking downtown was packed and people filled the streets everywhere you looked.

“The Trail of Lights is such a awesome sight to see,” said junior Holly Anzaldua. “If you live in Austin and haven’t gone to the trail then you need to ASAP! It’s seriously so beautiful and creative. It’s amazing to see what you can do with lights and you won’t know until you actually go there and experience it for yourself.”