Students learn about cultures in new ethnic studies class

Henry Dominguez, Staff Writer

Immigration, slavery, and the contributions that ethnic groups have made to the United States are only a few among the many topics that students should expect to learn in ethnic studies class.

Ethnic studies is a new social studies elective class at Akins High School and AISD. The purpose of the class is to teach students about culture and history about themselves and others. It provides them insight of the world around them.

While ethnic studies is intended to help students understand more about others, the class has stirred much controversy in other states such as Arizona, California, and Oregon where they have tried to create these kinds of classes.

Many educators and policymakers argue that the class is nothing but beneficial, improving student attendance, reducing dropout rates, and influencing Mexican Americans to enroll into college. However, opponents object that the class is racist, putting negative “anti-American” perspectives into their minds.

Ethnic studies teacher Chad Timmons said the class does cover some controversial topics, but it’s not intended to demonize any ethnic group, instead it’s meant to cover a range of topics over deeper aspects of our society, and communities.

“I think my biggest goal is to try and inspire as many folks in my class to become passionate about something and become advocates or activists for whatever it is that they find important and special,” Timmons said. “A lot of us are just too apathetic about issues. We don’t know how to call our congressman, we don’t know how to call senators, we don’t know how to advocate for change. We all want things to be a certain way but we don’t always know how to steer the ship to get them so I’m hoping that’s where we’ll get.”

So far the class has received positive feedback from numerous students. Senior Liliana Hernandez said she has enjoyed the class thoroughly

“It’s not just a history class. It’s a political class. It’s a diversity class. If you find yourself (feeling) like you don’t really know much about the world taking Ethnics Studies Class would really help with that and help you become more aware.”