Senior student shares his story and meaning behind his first tattoo

Permanent skin art requires a lot of thought, research to avoid regrets, pain and infections

+Senior+Baylor+Egdorf+shows+his+first+tattoo+which+is+in%0Amemory+of+his+grandmother.

Marcelo Cruz

Senior Baylor Egdorf shows his first tattoo which is in memory of his grandmother.

Marcelo Cruz, Co-Photo Editor

The best way to find out why someone has that crazy dragon tattoo is just to ask them. And there is usually always a story to go with the tattoo, especially the first tattoo someone decides to have inked on their blank canvas of a body for the rest of their lives.

First tattoos are really important because they become a putting permanent picture or messages on your skin forever, and they usually have a deep meaning behind them. Senior Baylor Egdorf just got his first tattoo this year at “San Marcos Emporium.” It’s a cross with his grandma’s name, the date she was born, and the date she passed away to remember her.

When getting a tattoo there are plenty of details that matter: what kind of tattoo you want, where you want it, how big you want it, the tattoo artist you want to use, and how expensive the tattoo is.

Different tattoo artists have different art styles, and different prices so it’s wise to review an artist’s their previous works. It is not an easy process. To legally get a tattoo in Texas you need to be 18 unless you have a parent’s consent.

Once the artist has been selected, it’s important to get an appointment at a time that will work with your schedule because the time to complete the tattoo can vary. The price of a tattoo varies depending on what tattoo parlor you go to, the artist, and the size. Most places in Austin usually charge about $100 an hour, and there is no telling how long it’s going to take to finish the tattoo until you check with the artist.

And then there is the question about pain. It’s a good idea to make sure you can withstand the pain of a tattoo before settling on your design. The more elaborate the design, the longer it will take.

How much it hurts depends on an extraordinary amount of factors, some being your personal pain tolerance, and how “heavy” the tattoo artist’s hand is. When a tattoo artist has a “heavy hand” it means he presses down harder than usual and it hurts more.

“It didn’t hurt at all, it just felt like a big irritation, like a mosquito biting you and you just wanting to hit it away or itch it,” Egdorf said.

After getting a tattoo it needs to be taken care of or it will get infected, or the ink will start seeping. To take care of the tattoo it must be washed with lukewarm water and antibacterial soap. And it’s a good idea to apply antibacterial cream such as petroleum jelly, it must be applied to help the affected skin heal properly. It is crucial that you don’t let your tattoo dry out or it will not heal properly. The tattoo will not be done healing until after the skin over the tattoo peels away like a sunburn.

Getting a tattoo is a big decision. A lot of decisions need to be made so it doesn’t become something you regret. First tattoos will always be special unless they are not thought out properly. “Make sure it’s meaningful don’t just get it to look cool, get something that means something to you and something you thought about for a while before actually getting it,” Egdorf said