Colonel uses past missions as inspiration for students

Colonel+Jack+R.+Rickman%2C+a+command+pilot+with+3200+total++ying+hours+uses+his+experiences+to+help+the+AFJROTC+program.+Col.+Rickman+recounts+his+past+missions%2C+like+having+to+land+a+C-5%2C+a+large+military+transport+aircraft%2C+with+the+nose+gear+retracted+and+a+nearly+empty+fuel+tank+with+50+passengers+on+board.+

Jose Garcia

Colonel Jack R. Rickman, a command pilot with 3200 total ying hours uses his experiences to help the AFJROTC program. Col. Rickman recounts his past missions, like having to land a C-5, a large military transport aircraft, with the nose gear retracted and a nearly empty fuel tank with 50 passengers on board.

Jose Garcia, Staff Writer

Colonel Jack R. Rickman, a command pilot with 3200 total flying hours uses his experiences to help the AFJROTC program. Col. Rickman recounts his past missions, like having to land a C-5, a large military transport aircraft, with the nose gear retracted and a nearly empty fuel tank with 50 passengers on board. The retracted piece of gear made landing tight, causing it to spark up. The landing scratched in the under part of the aircraft and saved all the passengers. This act of bravery gain Col. Rickman the Air Medal. Experiences like these are used to encourage JROTC participants to be the best citizen they can be.

The Eagle’s Eye: What were some of your flying memories?

Colonel Rickman: We had the mission of flying the president’s motorcade and his limo. We also carried Marine One the helicopter that the president flies in. We’d fly into Andrews Air Force Base, which is right next to Washington D.C.. That’s where they keep Air Force One. We would land in there and then the motorcade they bring them on the Secret Service would bring on the limousine and bring everything on. For example, I went to Switzerland. We dropped everything off and then a few hours later the president lands in Air Force One and his limousine pulls up and picks him up. It’s pretty cool. We were in Santiago Chile when President Clinton was down there. We took President Clinton’s helicopter. I flew (for) the first Bush and the second Bush and Clinton. I have countless flying stories and the cadets get to hear quite a few of them.

EE: What did you like about serving in the military?

CR: I felt a sense of pride being able to do what I did, to serve my country.

EE: Why did you decide to go into teaching?

CR: The mission of AFJROTC is to produce citizens of character for our country. I really enjoy being a good influence on my cadets. I think there is about a 99% graduation rate of students that are in the Akins AFJROTC program. Cadets are held to a high standard of discipline by our corps, and they rise to the occasion.

EE: What direction do you want to take the corps?

CR: I plan to keep doing what this unit had done for many years. is is the best unit I’ve had the privilege to lead, from MSgt Rios to the cadets. They are top-notch and we plan to keep producing good citizens for our country.

EE: What are some other interests/hobbies you have?

CR: I was a CrossFit coach for 9 years and I still workout using the CrossFit philosophy. Also, as part of the corps’ wellness program, I conduct a healthy lifestyle challenge every semester.

EE: For students who are unsure if they want to join

JROTC, can you explain why you think it is a valuable program for them to join?

CR: is program is not like we’re not trying to recruit kids into the military. It’s just a citizenship program. It’s wearing a uniform, learning things like etiquette. It’s learning aerodynamics because I was a pilot. We fly the flight simulator so we learn about flying and learn life lessons as well, such as working out and eating healthy. That’s our thing. at’s our number one rule, to teach everybody love everybody. (We’re) teaching them to be good people.