Students struggle to keep relationships in pandemic

Gregory Roque, Staff Writer

Maintaining a relationship is not easy when you can’t see the one you love in person.

The COVID-19 pandemic has launched almost everyone who is dating into a long-distance relationship in which couples spend more time together online or on phone video calls than they do face-to-face.

The Eagle’s Eye interviewed and surveyed students about what dating and maintaining relationships has been like for them during the pandemic. Some students talked about the logistic challenges of navigating safety precautions like hand sanitation, virtual birthday parties, and spending more time near the house instead of going out on dates.

During the pandemic, couples haven’t just been shopping at different stores, they’ve also been going to each other houses to do activities like art and crafts or watching a movie together. Some couples pick up breakfast, lunch, or dinner together from drive-thru places and eat in their cars, peruse around the city, or spend time together at one of their houses.

There are couples who have shared about what it’s like to date, both virtually and in-person, and how difficult it is to date the pandemic and what some of their favorite moments about dating. Several couples have worked to keep the relationship bond strong during these times and how they have made sure to wear their masks and properly sanitize and stay clean in order to stay as safe as possible. 

Senior Alberto Perez said that it has been a challenge not being able to see each other in person as much. However, he said he appreciates having his girlfriend because it has helped his anxiety.

“But I feel like that [having a girlfriend to help cope with my anxiety] would’ve happened whether it was during the pandemic or not, he said.

Sophomore Lillian Torres said she hasn’t seen her boyfriend very often since the pandemic hit, which has caused communication and trust issues at times.

“We have argued a lot more lately. Also, since he lives in San Antonio, I have to worry about the number of cases in San Antonio and Austin in order to see him. Another challenge we face is not really getting aquatinted with each other’s personality since you’re going to get different vibes from texts and FacetTime than if you saw each other every day,” she wrote.

“To be honest I’m just happy we’re still together and I have someone my age with who I am really close and can really go through this pandemic with.”

Freshman Samantha Garcia, who experienced a breakup with her boyfriend before the school year started said she still misses him.

“I missed the hugs and holding his hand. I missed when he would have me close my eyes and then he would kiss my cheek or forehead and I wouldn’t be able to stop smiling,” she wrote. “It was hard to find mutual time with each other. We had so many hopes for the summer. I couldn’t wait for him to come to my birthday party (which ended up being virtual). Unfortunately, we broke up before school started, a combination of new interests and drifting apart added with the stress from a worldwide pandemic. Luckily, we’re still friends, and I’m grateful for that and the time we were together. Because of COVID, we both were spending more time at home, which meant more time video chatting. He left a gift basket for my birthday on my doorstep at 11:00 pm the day before my birthday so that I wouldn’t have to wait ’till the next day. Had it been a normal birthday, I don’t think it would’ve been as sweet and touching.”