Diamonds take new direction

Marissa Sosa

New dance director, Alexandria Gates teaches the Diamond Dazzlers field routine during morning practice. Gates was also captain of the 2006 Diamond Dazzlers.

Jacqueline Rodriguez, News Editor

Stepping onto the field once again, Alexandria Gates has returned to lead the dance team she was once a member of seven years ago.

Gates, who was an alumna here at Akins is back making her mark she once left and couldn’t be happier.

“This is my home, and I’m getting to lead the team that I was once apart of and it’s very seldom that something like this happens,” Gates said. “I’m new here but I’m not. I’m coming back to something that I already have so much experience and so much love for.”

Gates has had a fair share of dance experience throughout the years.

“While I was in college I danced for the San Antonio Spurs and I also took professional dance classes in New York,” Gates said.

Working at the school she once attended, Gates gets to connect with the team she was once apart of.

“It’s really cool to be apart of a close knit group especially a group that I know so much of,” Gates said. “I love teaching them I have a great team.”

With being the newest addition to the team, Gates has felt the warm welcome of her students.

“She’s fun, really nice, and can be stern when we need her to be for the team,” junior Ariana Capetillo said. “She’s doing really good as our new director.”

Many of Gates students have seen positive changes in the dance team.

“We have new routines, practices, and we’ve been improving ever since she became our new director,” sophomore Alyssa Rogge said.

With the new school year beginning, Gates looks forward to the many memories to be made throughout the year with her team.

“It’s been great working with the girls and I’m looking forward to our spring show and the banquet we have for the team and even contest season,” Gates said. ”I’m also getting to bring back the traditions that were here when I was a Diamond myself.”