Principal Daniel Girard announces departure from Akins

Brandi Hosack named interim principal

David Doerr

Faculty and staff give Akins High School Principal Daniel Girard a standing ovation after he announces his departure. Girard has been the principal at Akins for almost eight years.

Eagle's Eye Staff, Staff

Principal Daniel Girard announced today that he will be leaving Akins High School over the winter break, ending his eight year tenure as the school’s top leader.

Girard  has accepted a position to work for the Southern Regional Educational Board based out of Atlanta. He will serve as the director of school improvement for the organization and oversee work in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida.

Girard made the annoucement during a faculty-wide meeting. In a letter to the Akins High School Community, he said he was fortunate to lead many improvement efforts at the school during his time at Akins where ” I have had the wonderful opportunity to work with outstanding educators as well as committed families and students to create a strong college and career focused school.”

At the meeting, Kathy Ryan, Interim Associate Superintendent for High Schools announced that New Tech Academy assistant principal Brandi Hosack would serve as the interim head principal while the district conducts a search to fill the position permenantly.

Hosack said she was “honored and excited” to serve as the interim principal.

Read Girard’s full letter below:

Girard Farwell Letter by Akins Journalism

Read letter explaining process and timeline to hire next Akins Principal:

Akins Principal Search Timeline by Akins Journalism