Students of all classes enjoy Homecoming Dance

Ticket sales exceeded expectations, helping pay for some Senior prom expenses

Students+dance+to+the+new+hit+song%2C+Hit+the+Quan%2C+by+iHeart+Memphis+at+the+Akins+Homecoming+dance.+The+song+was+a+big+hit%2C+along+with+Watch+Me+%28Whip%2F+Nae+Nae%29+by+Silento.+

Ashley Sanchez

Students dance to the new hit song, Hit the Quan, by iHeart Memphis at the Akins Homecoming dance. The song was a big hit, along with Watch Me (Whip/ Nae Nae) by Silento.

Ashley Sanchez, Life & Style Editor

Last month Akins enjoyed its first Homecoming Dance in at least 10 years, answering the wishes of students for many years.

Math teacher Kenyatta Williams, who is serving as the faculty sponsor for the Class of 2016, organized the dance. After hearing many requests from students to have a dance, she lead the effort to put together the event in only eight days.

Groups like JROTC, commercial photography and the Class of 2016 helped out with planning, making flyers and decorating the cafeteria.

Williams also said she was spurred to take action by witnessing the demand of students and to increase school spirit using the Homecoming Dance as a point of pride for the school.

“Everything is changing. Akins is a great place and the kids really enjoy it,” she said. “I want them to continue enjoying that spirit they started to develop.”

When sophomore Alexis Juarez first heard Akins was going to have a Homecoming Dance she had low expectations.

However, she said she had an amazing time, making her con- sider it one of the high points of the school year so far.

“It was surprising how many people showed up,” she said.

Juarez wasn’t the only student who walked into the dance with low expectations. Senior and Homecoming Queen Valerie Herrera also stated that she didn’t expect as many people to go.

Senior Christopher Velasquez, who was voted Homecoming King, attended the dance and said he enjoyed the “vibe of the event.”

While the dance was an opportunity for students to have fun, it was also a fundraiser for this year’s prom.

Williams said they sold more than 400 tickets, which wildly exceeded her expectations.

The event was a big help toward raising the estimated $12,000 to pay for this year’s prom.

Despite the event being in the cafeteria, students said they en- joyed the music and light show, which was put on by the same DJ that did last year’s prom and will perform at this year’s prom.

Seniors who attended the dance were glad to have had the experience.