Special education program sells hand crafted decorations

Studio 334 gives Life Skills students opportunity to learn business strategies

Adriana Galindo

Studio 334 handcraft beautiful flowers from paper and glitter, which are now available for sale.

Adriana Galindo, Staff Writer

Wreaths, snow globes and Christmas tree ornaments might sound like cutesy seasonal art projects, but they are also good business.

At least that’s what Life Skills teacher Jeffery Schafer realized when he started Studio 334 this fall. The studio is designed to provide Life Skills students with the chance to learn business skills while showing off their art and crafting skills.

Akins Life Skills students are getting creative this holiday season.

Since after Thanksgiving, Schafer has made available the handcrafted items that students have made.

The items are available for sale on a Shopify website he set up for online shopping.

The site offers a variety of items that have been purchased mostly by Akins teachers and staff .

Schafer said that the process of learning to post items on the website for sale and processing orders has helped the students learn skills they will need after they leave high school.

“With other work areas I want them to discover their talents in woodworking, metalworking and leather working,” Schafer said. “We want a small kitchen so they can learn how to cook, and use those talents to bring in more money for studio 334.”

Schafer said the proceeds from the sales are intended to pay for the new equipment and supplies for the students to make other items.

ESL teacher Sarah Barrentine said she purchased a snow globe and a Christmas wreath and was happy to see the Life Skills students developing their business skills.

“I love them they are very good quality and I would absolutely purchase more items for each holiday so I can decorate my classroom and house,” Barrentine said.

Schafer said he expects that the students will also be creating more items for every holiday that comes around as well as household and outdoors items in the future.

Adriana Galindo
Life skill students show off their arts and crafts skills by creating Christmas tree ornaments, made out of Popsicle sticks and star embellishments.