"Everything that concerns you"

AVID teacher encourages summer college participation

Students have an opportunity to stay on campus, attend orientation activities

The+University+of+Texas+at+Austin+is+one+campus+that+students+can+spend+time+over+the+summer+to+get+used+to+the+experience+of+attending+college.+
The University of Texas at Austin is one campus that students can spend time over the summer to get used to the experience of attending college.

Wally Gobetz

Wally Gobetz

Chris Ojeda, Staff Writer

AVID teacher Thomas Frierson is striving to offer students at Akins an opportunity to make the transition to college easier.

He found out about a program that will allow students to experience a college lifestyle. This program is through a company called Oxbridge Academics. They specialize in helping students make the transition from high school to college.

Some of the programs they offer include; a day camp at certain university campuses or a week long stay, in which high school students stay the night in college dorms, and attend orientation style activities during the day. These programs help students explore a college lifestyle.

Frierson said he thinks programs like this help students feel more comfortable about the idea of attending college if their parents or friends have never done it before.

”It’s like a summer school for high school students,” he said. “They study, take classes, and live in dorms. They live this college lifestyle, for some of them, you can get college credit. I think it would be a great thing because it would take away the intimidation of college. It introduces students, at an earlier age, to what college life is like. They can meet students that live in-state, out of state, out of the country, it really broadens students’ horizons.”

The grade levels for the summer college program vary. Some colleges, can accept students in the 8th or 9th grades, while others only accept juniors and incoming seniors.

The types of activities also vary, depending on which college you apply to.

Frierson says that Texas A&M has week long stay, Texas State has a day camp, Yale, Harvard, Stanford, and all major universities have programs similar to this. Especially smaller universities.

Frierson also says that you can go and take classes that revolve around your schedule.

Depending on how you structured your schedule, you can take classes that focus on life skills, STEM, Law, or anything you want to major in. You could also go on field trips, have lunch, and study, just like an actual college student.

Although, it’s still a new idea to students, Frierson wants to establish a value to these programs, as well as gain a large interest level.

“I think that the key now, is to educate students and parents about the value of these programs, as well as the cost of it all and the opportunities for funding, scholarships, and grants.”

Frierson said he will help students who are interested in signing up for these kinds of summer activities.

“This year, it’s been about learning what is available, and trying to get the interest level there,” he said.

Frierson said he believes that students who participate will have an easier time adjusting to college life when they get started.

“It’s like going into your freshman year of high school, it’s overwhelming, but if you went into a summer high school, and understand how high school worked and where your classes are, you would feel a little more comfortable.” Frierson said.