Hopes for Akins’ future come to light

Editorial Board

Now that former principal Daniel Girard has moved on to a new job, it’s time for the Akins community to do some soul searching to find his replacement.

Girard was the top leader at Akins for almost eight years and the next principal could be here for just as long. Principals have a major impact on the atmosphere, expectations and direction of a school.

The school board is expected to vote on the superintendent’s recommendation for the next principal in April so we have to act quickly to make sure we have a say in the process.

On the December 19 Principal Daniel Girard sent out a letter to Akins families and staff alerting the campus of his leaving to take on Director of School Improvement for the Southern Regional Educational Board in Atlanta.

New Tech Assistant Principal, Brandi Hosack, has taken over as Interim during the search process for a permanent principal.

Now the campus is faced with finding his replacement.

Fortunately, district officials have held two meetings in which faculty and staff as well as community members and students have generated characteristics that everyone can agree on as desired traits for the next principal.

The characteristics have been assembled into a profile that a selection committee, district administrators and the superintendent will use as a guide during the interview and decision-making process.

This is a critical and important process. It is imperative that the new superintendent, Dr. Paul Cruz respects the profile the staff, students and community have created to best fit our needs.

A few of the characteristics that The Eagle’s Eye staff believes are important include:

• Is open minded
  • Has a greater focus on extracurricular
  • Continues to improve school academics
  • Listens and sets up open door opportunities with students
  • Connects on a personal level with students
  • Is willing to learn communicate with spanish-speaking parents (preferred bilingual)
  • Promotes school spirit, values
  • Is willing to take disciplinary action when needed
  • Has a strong presence
  • Understands population
  • Is flexible
  • Leads by example
  • Is clear and consistent

It is essential that the new incoming principal continues to improve our reputation as a school and continue to develop the college and career preparatory based high school that it is today.

Another vital quality that is important to us as a staff is a principal that respects student press freedoms.

At Akins, we have always had the right to publish stories without intervention of the principal.

While some principals exercise what’s known as “prior review” before student newspapers are published, we believe that would be a tragic loss of freedom of expression for Akins students.

This would mean that the principal would review the paper before it was published, contradicting everything a student newspaper is.

We as an editorial board want someone who will be open minded, connect with students, promote school spirit, and be a positive force for our school. But most importantly we want someone who will not take our press freedom away.