College housing too costly

Isaiah Strange, Graduating Editor

Within Austin, it’s no secret that the price of living is definitely not affordable, even for people holding down jobs making over $40,000 a year.

Austin has been ranked by Forbes as the No. 1 growing city in the United States since 2010, only being superseded by Houston in the last year.

The growth of Austin has made it expensive for college students looking to come to colleges such as the University of Texas at Austin, Houston-Tillotson, St. Edwards University, and more colleges within the Austin area such as Texas State. Many college students have been forced to live outside of the Austin area in the surrounding suburbs such as Buda or Kyle where prices are more affordable for a student.

It’s tough for college students to want to live in Austin as even on-campus housing is still unaffordable for many. The contributing factors of both has made students wonder if they can attend college after high school, especially a four year college.

Austin is a city that  hosts a number of companies such as Dell, Apple, Google, and more, which drives up the price of living in Austin.

According to Forbes, the average price for an apartment in the Austin area is $1,122 a month, not including other common utility bills.. The average income of a college student is $14,400 a year, making it hardly affordable to live in Austin.

A lot of students who attend Texas State find it difficult to afford Austin prices.  But even commuting from Austin to San Marcos is expensive, adding the cost of gas and insurance payments..

It’s become ridiculous for students to think about living here. It’s tough for students to want to be here in Austin, without feeling like they need to move to a suburb, but even then, they are limited on choices as prices to live just near Austin are increasing.

The city of Austin should think more about helping students, or possibly even the state of Texas. If the Federal government chooses not to help, this shouldn’t mean local governments sit by and do nothing. Students shouldn’t be thrown into the real world as fast as they are.

It should be a thought that the future generations of our country, are being thrown into debt at the early ages of 18 just to be able to afford to live on their own as they go to college. The price of living in Austin for college kids, may affect the future for some.

Some students in Austin may think of going to college as a burden, as trying to afford to live and go to college is too much to handle at such a young age. Many may choose work over a higher education, in hopes to stabilize themselves instead of worrying about school.

When it comes down to it, college students living in Austin should be helped when it comes to living within the city. Special deals should be offered to help students afford to live on campus in a city so high priced as Austin.