Repeal of In-State Tuition for Undocumented is unjust

Gabriel Robles, Opinions Editor

The cost of tuition for undocumented students almost skyrocketed during the current legislative session as lawmakers considered repealing what is sometimes called as the “Texas Dream Act.”

Although Texas lawmakers have often portrayed a tough-on-border control stance on most issues, the state has allowed undocumented students to receive the benefit of in-state tuition since 2001. That almost ended when a state Senate committee gave a green light to a bill by Sen. Donna Campbell.

Despite hearing 171 out of 176 people testifying against the bill, the committee passed it, however, the proposal lost momentum and was never scheduled for a vote in the full Senate.

According to The Texas Tribune Campbell said that “This bill is not about vilifying anyone… I feel we need to direct our resources first and foremost to the legal residents of Texas.”

Unfortunately, vilification is the only effect that this bill will have.

Campbell claims that there needs to be a redirection of resources for legal citizens; however, resources might begin being directed for all students when it comes down to community college, thanks to an executive proposal from President Obama.

Supporters of the 2001 law allowing in-state tuition to go to undocumented students believe that it helps these young people better their own lives and benefits society, but allowing them a path to a high-skilled job needed by the modern Texas economy.

Even if Campbell’s bill is aimed at providing more resources to students with residential status, it will certainly hurt those students who are undocumented.

If Campbell is sincere about increasing funding for community colleges, she should find a way to do so without hurting undocumented students who already face obstacles to overcome if they’re ever to become fully integrated citizens.

All things considered, the U.S. used to be a place where people could start fresh; restart their lives for the better. Even if it’s just idealism, it those idea that made the U.S. a great place to be. Let’s not throw that away because it’s “just about policy.”