Lady Eagles find more success than last year’s season

The Lady Eagles finished the second set against Cedar Creek with a 25-16 victory. The team has worked hard to set the bar even higher for this season.

Jonathan Rivera, Staff Reporter

With a brand new year at Akins and an all-new season, the Lady Eagles are trying to improve from a 9-25 record last season to a 9-18 record now.

“I think we had a successful year so far. Our record is 9-18. It’s an improvement from where we were last year.” junior Erika Senger said.

The Lady Eagles had their ups and downs. A high point in the season was beating Lyndon B. Johnson High School in a 3 set sweep.

“Beating LBJ was a push forward for us,” junior Mariah Stewart said.

The Lady Eagles are working better together as a team, which resulted in a better season than last year.

“We all have a lot more chemistry this year. We didn’t really have good chemistry last year, but now we all get along great,” Stewart said.

It’s not over yet for the Lady Eagles, they still have some district games to play, which could result in more wins.

Varsity head coach Amanda Thomas said, “ We already started district, so we still have more wins ahead of us. It’s not over yet. This group has unity, they work very well and are extremely hard workers, and bonding is much closer than it was last year.”

The Lady Eagles will be looking forward to a brand new season, where they all know they will improve.

A lot of new faces will appear on the team and some of the varsity players are going to be back next season with more experience, possibly leading to more wins.

New players are adjusting to the faster paced varsity games that have intensified speed and strength compared to junior varsity.

The Lady Eagles prepare to take on Lake Travis next and will close out their season against Del Valle on Tuesday, Oct. 29, at Del Valle High School.