Wrestler’s hard work, dedication finally pays off

After four years of training senior Anna Becerra strives for college scholarships

Michael Galindo

Senior Anna Becerra performs crunches on the mat during wrestling practice.

Gregory Eldred, Staff Writer

Senior Anna Becerra has a big year planned: win at state, earn a college scholarship and start her wrestling career.

Becerra, a fourth year Akins wrestler, has already achieved many accomplishments in wrestling. Last year she won in her region, and went to state, This year is looking to be a three time regional champ, a two time state placer, and has a Texas state title for the 102 weight class.

While she has already been accepted into Waldorf University in Forest City, Iowa Becerra is still getting attention from other colleges.

Becerra has traveled to visit the universities she is interested, and is excited about her future. After lots of contemplating, Becerra signed on to wrestle for Lyon College where she will begin to attend next fall.

“I love being on the mat and having a goal to reach every year,” Becerra said.

After she changed weight classes during her sophomore year, she started making improvements, she said. To stay in her weight class and hone her skills she is constantly training.

“As of right now, I run three miles twice a day, and I do that everyday,” she said. “Wrestling period is field station stuff and then we have after school practice.”

Regardless of how well she does this season, Becerra said she plans to stay involved in wrestling in some way.
“I love the sport. Maybe I can get into Ultimate Fighting Championship, anything dealing with wrestling I would love to do.”

Becerra said she never imagined trying to wrestle at the college level when she started out as a freshman.

“Wrestling has helped me to know dedication. On the mat, in class, and everything else,” she said.

Wrestling can be hard on the body, which is evident by the padding she wears during practice. Head coach Roy Tambunga said that her knees were bothering her a little bit.

Wrestling season starts in November. Of the approximately 30 people on the wrestling team, Anna has the most experience.

The boys wrestling team has many young members. Tambunga said there are about 13 new wrestlers this year. More than 10 girls were on the team last year, so the girls team clearly consists of veterans.

“The girls won district three years in a row,” Tambunga said.

The team exercises strenuously and frequently.

“We go an hour and a half, but then we go till 6 o’clock exercising right after that,” Tambunga said.

Accompanying Becerra on the winner’s podium last year was Austin Boles. Both of them earned 4th place awards in their respective weight classes.

Boles, who graduated last year and earned a wrestling scholarship to attend Northwestern College in Iowa, shared his advice for wrestlers trying to move to the next level in their careers.

“Not all colleges offer women’s wrestling,” Boles said. “You have to have a worthy enough record to get a scholarship. For Anna, she can.”
Becerra will need support this year if she plans for a successful athletic career.

She is a good role model for the wrestling team, even for fellow senior Blanca Martinez, who has been wrestling with Becerra since they were freshmen.

“She’ll do amazing in the future, Martinez said. “She has a lot of potential.”