Rising star athletes will succeed seniors in new season

Cassie Obi

Sophomore Kenan Lockhart sprints down the field during an after school practice.

Analisa Salinas, Staff Reporter

As the senior athletes leave for the year, coaches are in search of new leaders to take over as star players.

These sophomores and juniors have been recognized for their hard work and dedication and will now fill the shoes of the graduating seniors, hoping to live up to high expectations..

Junior Vincent Prado, a varsity basketball player, said he can’t wait to be a senior and take on new responsibilities. Prado said he hopes to be a leader for his team next year.

“I’ve watched and learned from the seniors this year and the way they handled things,” Prado said.     “This coming season I’m going to help the team out by letting them know what’s OK to do and what’s not OK to do. Just guide them in the right direction.”

Prado said he is looking forward to more highlight moments such as his buzzer beater shot against the Austin High Maroons last year.

“I can’t wait to be a senior and live up to the same expectations as the seniors did this year,” Prado said.

Basketball, as well as football players had rigorous practice sessions this past summer getting ready for the new season. However, these rising athletes said they are looking forward to getting down to business and preparing for success.

Football player and track athlete Patrick Dickerson said he finds the coaches inspiring and the reason he has grown successful as an athlete.

Dickerson found success on the track this year, placing fifth in discus at the Regional track meet in Waco.

“Although track is the sport I do for fun,” Dickerson said. “Football is like a job. I do it so I can go to college and get ready for the NFL.”

Partick plans on continuing his love for Football and making it big in the NFL

Another rising star sophomore, Kenan Lockhart, started playing on the JV football team since he was a freshman and is coming up on his second year on the varsity team.

“I feel like I work hard and I do things that can greatly improve the team. I feel like I’m one of the main players,” Lockhart said. “I also plan on being first string until I graduate.”

Lockhart has been preparing for the next season by working in the weight room, building strength,and running frequently. He also reviews video of himself after practice.

“I watch films of myself a lot and study the game,” he said. “I eat a lot different than before and I also like to run to better myself.”

Several athletes said they were surprised how quickly the next season is approaching.

They are ecstatic and plan to have strong performances next school year.